Thursday, December 30, 2010

The Phone Call

Because of my sons' school affiliations, I have come to know a great group of moms, some stay-at-homes and some not. Either way, these women are all fabulous in my book.  We gel, we have our little inside jokes, we "get" each other, we laugh together and we even cry together.  Most importantly, we are there for each other when needed the most.

All of this leads me to the events of today.

I was simply plodding along through my day, thinking how mundane life and its routines can be. Just dreading the thought of having to conquer the mountain of laundry that is slowly taking over my home when the cell phone rings. Sometimes something as simple as a phone call can upset the apple cart that is your life and make you realize  just how good you've got it.  I got such a phone call today. 

My dear friend of just a year and a half, C, needed me. She had just received a call we all dread, an extremely ill, and very close, relative was being taken by ambulance to the hospital. Could I come sit with her boys until the regular babysitter arrived? Without hesitation, I said I'd be there in a flash.  Still in my pajamas (remember, I was having a very lazy day), I threw on the closest clothing I could find, not caring what I looked like as I was throwing on tennis shoes and yelling to husband that I had  to go... C had an emergency and needed me and I had no clue how soon I'd be back.  (God bless the Big E  for his understanding ways.)

It's amazing that there are things we'd do for our friends when they are in distress that we won't even do or don't regularly do in our own homes. Cooking, cleaning out the cat litter, washing dishes, folding laundry, cleaning a bathroom, whatever it might be. It's like we go into Mommy Auto-Pilot mode and just get things rolling because a friend in need truly trumps EVERYTHING!

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree. I have friends that I have dropped everything for and vice versa...Hope your friend start feeling better soon. I found you on Bloggy Moms and I'm taking the blog dare as well and I'm looking forward to your post in 2011.

    ReplyDelete