Wednesday, August 11, 2010

I Wanna Write a Children's Book... I Must be Certifiable!

Several month's ago, Kelly DiPucchio came to my son's school to speak about what it's like to write children's books. Holy cow! I didn't know when I volunteered to help with getting the students shuttled in and out of the Media Center that, by the end of the morning, I'd have the writing bug. It didn't jump out at me right away. It sat, festering inside of me. Lingering, just waiting for the right moment to start screaming like a banshee "Let me out! Let me out! And let me start writing!"

About a month ago, it hit me like a tons of bricks. I want, no, I NEED, to write a book. So like any good and semi-intelligent person would do I googled "Writing Children's Books" and came back with so much information my head was spinning. Was I crazy? What was I thinking? I can't do this. My work isn't any good. I can't limit my book to 1,000 to 1,500 words. I'll never be a writer! Hogwash!

Later that evening while chatting with the hubby, I asked him what he thought if I told him I wanted to write a children's book. His reply was less than stellar. In fact, he looked at me like I was, in fact, certifiable! *Poof!* Went the dream. Or so I thought!

The next morning, I sat down and wrote 676 words of my story. I am so proud of my accomplishment so far. The book sits unfinished to date due to having a life outside of my computer. But I've already asked my cousin's daughter (who I've never metbut have seen her amazing work) to be my illustrator. She is an uber-gifted artist! Now I have even more reason to finish the book since now the world knows I'm writing it!

Do I know if it will ever be published? No. Do I hope it will be? Yes indeed! It's my dream, my heart's passion. And I'm running with it! Let's hope I don't trip along the way and fall flat on my face!!

No comments:

Post a Comment